What's your next step?
Boy Scouts of America
Scuba Diving Merit Badge
The Boy Scouts of America have been working with PADI and other scuba training agencies to create the Scuba Diving Merit Badge. All of the hard work is coming to fruition. Dive WthUs Scuba, Inc. will soon be offering the BSA Scuba Diving Merit Badge program to Boy Scouts and the Scuba Elective for Ranger Award in Venturing. The program offers more than the traditional Open Water Diver certification by including projects and environmental awareness information. It is similar to the National Geographic Open Water Diver certification. The final layout of the information is not quite complete but should be presented at DEMA this week and there will be in-depth information in the December issue of Boy’s Life magazine.
The Scout must have the BSA Swimming Merit Badge.
The Boy Scout Merit Badge Program consists of four Parts:
1. The BSA requirements (use of BSA Scuba Merits Badge Booklet)
2. Scuba Knowledge (use of PADI training material)
3. Confined Water Dives and Skill development.
4. Open Water Dives.
There are three Steps to successfully complete this segment of the Ranger Award in Venturing:
1. The Venturer must become certified as a PADI Open Water Diver (or obtain an equal certification from an accredited agency.)
2. Make a presentation to their crew, another crew or a Cub or Boy Scout group on what it takes to become certified and some other subject related to Scuba Diving.
3. Assist with a Discover Scuba or Scuba BSA program as teaching others is a key characteristic of Venturing.
Other Patches (Not Merit Badges) available are the Snorkeling Patch, the Scuba Patch (similar to a Discover Scuba Experience)
Boy Scouts of America Scuba programs are available at the Dive WthUs Scuba, Inc. Bradenton, FL location only.